Why this may interest you?
As a helping hand to cut through all the blurb out there we have compared the costs for the following payment gateway providers; Worldpay, Sage Pay, PayPal, Stripe and Braintree.
- Want to know how your current payment provider compares against competition?
- Thinking about changing your current payment provider?
- Interested to know how much costs vary for different payment providers?
What do I need to do to find the cost of each payment gateway provider?
Download the spreadsheet where you can compare how much each provider will cost the business as an expense broken down on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly basis.
The only information you need will be based on three key statistics over a year.
- The amount of revenue the website generated
- Number of orders taken
- Percentage of Credit Vs Debit card payments
For ease, the statistics take into account 'flat lining' any seasonal business statistics and the ratio of spend between debit cards and credit cards, as these are both key to calculating the potential costs.
Payment gateways compared
Below we have listed some details on each payment provider. As each provider has their own advantages, limitations and different price structures. This article will compare these providers from a high level to help you understand each provider in more detail.
Why would you use Worldpay?
- Established as one of the UK's leading payments provider and is trusted by over 300,000 small businesses.
- No joining fee
- 24/7 customer service and UK support’
- Pay monthly or pay as you go
|Initial Setup||Monthly Price||Transaction Fee||Transactions Tokens (per month)|
|Pay monthly||£0||£19.95 GBP||Credit Card of 2.75% Debit Card of 0.75%||n/a|
|Pay as you go||£0||£0||2.75% + £0.20 (applies to both credit and debit cards)||n/a|
- Why would you use PayPal?
- Easy and convenient as customers need just an email address and password or mobile number and PIN to pay quickly and more securely.
- 24/7 customer support either online or on the phone, we're here to help.
- Simple to integrate with all major shopping carts and ecommerce platforms.
- Get paid online, over the phone, in person, internationally, send invoices and accept donations
- Personal, money pool
|Initial Setup||Monthly Price||Transaction Fee|
|£0||£0||Monthly revenue GBP||Transaction Fee|
|Up to £1,500||AoV 3.4% + 0.20 GBP|
|£1,500.01 - £6,000.00||AoV 2.9% + 0.20 GBP|
|£6,000.01 - £15,000.00||AoV 2.4% + 0.20 GBP|
|£15,000.01 - £55,000.00||AoV 1.9% + 0.20 GBP|
|+ £55,000||1.4% / Call for bespoke pricing|
Why would you use Sage Pay?
- Receive funds into your business bank account within 2 working days instead of the usual 7+ days
- Get paid quickly and efficiently by connecting Sage Pay & Sage Accounts to get invoices paid instantly.
- Accept any payment type, including PayPal in 25+ currencies.
- Deferred payments
- 24/7 customer support on the phone or online.
- Free fraud scanning tools
- No initial set up fee
|Price Plan||Monthly Price||Transaction Fee||Transactions Tokens (per month)|
|Flex||£20.90||Credit Card of 2.09% Debit Card of 0.74%||350 transactions free then £0.12 per transcation|
|Plus||£45.00||Credit Card of 2.09% Debit Card of 0.74%||350 transactions free then £0.10 per transcation|
|Corporate||Bespoke Pricing||3,000 + transactions|
Why would you use stripe?
- Easy to integrate the Stripe API with any website/platform.
- Flexible payment and checkout flows on web and mobile.
- Make faster business decisions using insights from real-time data.
- Free initial set up
|Cards||Monthly Price||Transaction Fee||Transactions Tokens (per month)|
|European||none||1.4% + £0.20||n/a|
|Non-European||none||2.9% + £0.20||n/a|
- Why would you use Braintree?
- Discounted rates are available for business processing over 50K per month
- Global reach and accepts payments in 130+ currencies
- Recurring billing
- Mobile first powering the mobile commerce revolution from day one.
- Small team of easily contactable sales reps through phone or email
- No initial set up fee
|Packages||Monthly Price||Transaction Fee||Transactions Tokens (per month)|
|Standard||none||1.9% + £0.20||n/a|
|Enterprise||none||Over 50K per month. They will provide a bespoke quote||n/a|
Is the cheapest option right for my business?
So you have used the provided spreadsheet so you now know the costs. Is it a matter of just choosing the cheapest? While cost is important, unfortunately, there are many other aspects when choosing a payment provider and the decision shouldn’t be dictated by price alone.
Depending on your needs and wants it’s recommended you consider other factors such as:
If you fancy a chat about anything digital, feel free to contact Ryan by email firstname.lastname@example.org or give Ryan a call on 0114 279 7779.
Get more of this by subscribing to our regular newsletter